View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 08:28 PM  
Ann
Newborn Pup

Default Chinese hamster questions

Hi there! My husband bought a Chinese hamster for me this past Friday and I had a couple questions about her. I know they're pretty shy in general so I've just been letting her settle in. I've only seen her come out twice for a few seconds each time and that was only to get a couple pieces of food to take back in her house. Is there a way to encourage her to come out or at least not run and hide if she sees me move? I'm not wanting to rush her or anything, just wanted to get some ideas for after she's settled in.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was climbing toys. I've read that Chinese hamsters like to climb. Is that pretty common or does it really just depend on the individual hamster? I live in the US and there aren't very many climbing type toys for hamsters. At least, not that I've seen. I saw some parakeet ladders online. Would that be a good option? I'm also open to DYI if anyone has any suggestions.
I have her in a bin cage measuring 16in X 27in. Is that big enough? It's definitely bigger than what she was in when we got her but I can get a bigger one if I need to. I was also planning on adding at least one level to it. My daughter wanted to name her Clover, so I think that's what we're going with. I'll try to get a picture of her when/if she decides to come out. She's very cute and seems to be really sweet the little bit I've seen of her.
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote