View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 04:59 PM  
Gemma_xo
Senior Hamster

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemma_xo
Default Re: IKEA Billy cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki_3173 View Post
Side Note: PLEASE tell me that Pixie is a Chinese or a Dwarf hamster. This cage is quite small and would not be suitable home for a Syrian or the accessories a Syrian needs.
Pixie is a Hybrid Dwarf from P@H, I okayed the Billy extension cage because of her size, I think I will continue down the Dwarf line in future too, if for whatever reason I do get a Syrian, a cage change would happen before the Hamster was brought home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Grrr View Post
YAAAAAAAAAAAS your a fan too? Awesome!
I am , forever watching her stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazella View Post
You could even add silicone along the inner edges where the wood meets to strengthen the connections and keep gunk from building up in the corners/edges for easier cleaning.
The store which you purchase the wood strips might even be able to cut them for you (here in the US the big corporate home renovation stores do so, I don't know about in the UK).
Good luck on your project! If you can, post some photos when you are all finished, I'd love to see how it turned out!
I was considering adding silicone on the inside, thanks for seconding that idea . Also, I know one DIY wood shop here would cut the wood given the lengths, so I just hope there's one close enough to me .
And I will do, IKEA want an INSANE amount of money for delivery, so I'm waiting on a lift to my local store to get the stuff myself , but pictures will follow as soon as I get the cage started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki_3173 View Post
I ended up putting the peel and stick laminate tiles in the bottom of the cage and sealing around the edges. It helps protect the wood laminate floor from urine and SO much easier to clean.

I also put hinges on the back of the lid to make for easy opening.
I was thinking that about the sheets, now been added to my to buy list . Hinges also sound like a viable option, just need to up my DIY savvy-ness first

Thank you all .