View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Suitable Hamster Cages

And there's the Alexander and Barney cages from Zooplus. Both 100cm cages with 7mm bar spacing so futureproof kind of as suitable for dwarfs or syrians (although I believe dwarf hamsters are supposed to be safer in Duna tanks or glass tanks).

I think the Alexander and Barney are probably the biggest commercial hamster cages you can get in the Uk and they are just the right size for a Syrian hamster - the minimum of 80cm by 50cm for a hamster really is minimum for a Syrian (as I know!) - once you have a wheel and a house and some toys there's not much floor space left for digging and roaming and doing other hamstery things.

You can't go wrong with either of those cages - personally I prefer the Barney because it has more useable roof space and it's a good price! Detolf is the biggest and best in the uk - if you have space and if you don't prefer barred cages! And if you don't mind a little bit of diy to make a lid.

I think the Eco Habitat (from Zooplus or Amazon) is good too, if plastikoted and correx on the base to keep it protected. And it comes in three different sizes - the biggest being 120cm by 80cm which is an amazing hamster habitat. Also needs a bit of diy to mesh the top as the slits are 2cm. It's not cheap though at over £100.

I also really like the Ferplast Maxi Duna Multy for both Syrians and dwarfs. A 100cm perspex tank style - fits a 30cm wheel in (just). The top bar spacing is less than 1cm as well so no meshing required like there is with Zoozones. It's the same size as the Zoozone 2 more or less.

If I had to choose out of those and money was no object I'd get the Maxi Duna Multy for a dwarf hamster and the Eco Habitat for a Syrian. Or - this German cage (last photo) which is like the Eco habitat but with bars. From Amazon.de

Having said all that, I quite like my cage - Savic Mickey 2XL - it could be bigger as it's the minimum 80cm by 50cm but it has 7mm bar spacing, a good big front opening door for access, well made and the whole of the roof to use for roof toys/runs. But I'd rather have something at least 100cm for our Syrian.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-26-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote