View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 12:43 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Sneezing, sneezing, sneezing!

My Russian hybrid has little `hiccup` episodes that seem as though he`s sneezing or reacting to something but they are nothing to worry about. Sometimes it can be allergens or dust or when they wake up, you will hear these little episodes going on but when they are playing and running about, they tend not to do it. I can`t see or hear your hamster but what I would say is try not to change the substrate too often and just spot clean. Don`t use anything except warm water and kitchen towel to wipe anything with. Sprays and chemicals can smell very strong to a small hamster even if the residue is rinsed away.

I don`t suppose it matters which substrate you use as even wood shavings versus Carefresh can usually cause the same symptoms. I use wood shavings and Supreme Cosi n Dri which my hamster is used to and he also gets ripped up plain white toilet tissue as nesting. Frequent sneezing with wet nose, wiping with paws and looking a though they have something other than reacting to fine dust could need checking by a vet, but I wouldn`t think antibiotics are necessary in most cases of general sneezing or hiccups.

Make sure her nest area is roomy and not too cramped. Open a window during the day periodically to allow fresh air in. Open wood shavings or any other substrate and put it into an open bin to give it a good airing before using it. This can help reduce any allergens or strong aromas that can cause reactions with breathing. x