View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: getting new cage!!!

Hi. Glad you are getting him a new cage. Yes the Rosewood one is too small for a Syrian. It could be difficult attaching the cages I'm thinking. Have you decided what the new cage is to be? I can recommend some suitable syrian ones, depending on your budget.

The Barney is a really good cage for a Syrian and comes with a good house as well and a nice deep base for substrate, which if filled with substrate, your hammy can dig tunnels in. It's a good price and probably the cheapest at this size. It will easily fit a 27 to 29cm wheel suitable for a syrian hamster.

The wheel that comes with it is a bit small.

Barney Pet Cage | Great deals at zooplus!

The Alaska fits the minimum recommended size for a hamster and is a really good price at less than £35.

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

Both might look a bit bare when empty but once you have a wheel in and a bendy bridge and his toys and lots of deep substrate, he will love it. The best thing you can give them is at least 4 to 6" of substrate/litter to dig in, a dark hide/house to build a nest in and lots of torn up white toilet paper strips to build their nest with. After that, the most important thing to them is their wheel (needs to be big enough that they can run with a straight back and their head and back in a straight line), then toys and hidey places and a cardboard tube or something.

A bigger cage gives them the space to roam and make their own habitat kind of - they sometimes rearrange things and move them or dig big piles of substrate in one place and tunnels in other places.

Personally I would go for a big cage like the 100cm Barney rather than get say an 80cm cage and attach the current cage. Your current cage might be good for mice so you could sell it on ebay or something and get some money back. It's a nice idea giving him even more space by attaching it, but attaching them can be tricky and also make escapes more likely, plus one big space is better than two smaller ones.

The other 100cm cage that is excellent is the Zoozone 2 (although the top bars need meshing on that) or the Ferplast Maxi Duna Multy (which has hammy sized bars so no meshing).

Example here

http://www.hamstercentral.com/commun...8-post144.html

Sold here and at Porton Aquatics
Ferplast Cage Maxi Duna Multy Small animals - Buy cages and parks online Miscota

Or if you have the space you could get a detolf for £40 from Ikea but it needs a lid making - basic diy a few pieces of wood and some mesh.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ha...IVyAfbCh3d7ADX

Personally I think you'd be best keeping the original cage as a separate play cage - ie somewhere to put him during cage cleaning. Or just sell it. And focus on getting one big space to turn into a hammy habitat.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote