View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM  
Piebald
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: getting new cage!!!

I see that rosewood cage says it's for a hamster but it is unsuitable for more than just being too small. It is made for mice or gerbils. Hamsters are ground dwellers and the height of those platforms is dangerously high should he fall. What kind of hamster do you have? The wheel looks tiny. A hamster should have a perfectly straight back when running on his wheel and I can't imagine anything other than a Robo fitting correctly in that wheel. There is no where for a proper house where hammie can nest inside and burrow in the substrate.

So I am glad you are getting a new cage. Hopefully you have looked around and realise what your hammie needs is lots of ground space to run around in with some toys and a big wheel. He does not get along well with a tall cage with lots of levels. If you are attaching the old cage I would take that wheel out (unless you have a Robo) before your hammie damages his back permanently, and I would remove all the upper shelves and ramps. The bottom two are probably ok for a young hamster if you put a deep layer of soft substrate in the bottom.

Now that I've been rambling on maybe you should tell us what cage you are planning on?
Piebald is offline   Reply With Quote