View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 01:47 PM  
Larrymom
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Help with taming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen250 View Post
I'm no expert at this (new hamster owner), but my thoughts are that he just needs more time. My hamster has been with me for 3 and a half weeks now, and he's been very slowly but steadily gaining trust. It sounds like you're making progress. If he was terribly afraid of you, he wouldn't take treats.

Have you been doing the tissue method? Get some toilet paper, put it near your skin (in your sock or shirt) for a couple hours, and then give it to him for bedding. That way he can get really used to your scent. Keep talking to him so that he gets comfortable with your voice. When I approach the cage, I make sure to say, "Hello Hubble, hello there!" so that he knows it's me.

I've been using the bathtub method, but I've only actually gotten in there with him a few times so as to not overwhelm him too much. For awhile there, I could not touch him without him pinging all over the place. He's only just now let me pick him up without pinging, though I think it'll take a little longer for him to be totally okay with it. Baby steps. I noticed the first time he let me stroke him that he was preoccupied with something else (a chew toy) so that he didn't pay too much attention to my hand being there. I also have a tube in the bath with him, and occasionally when he goes in, I'll lift it just an inch off the ground and hold my hand in front of it so that he walks onto my hand to get out. He wasn't so sure about this at first, and he'd turn around and hop out the other end, but he walks onto my hand happily now.

If I were you, I'd just keep trying. Spend some time with him every night and keep interacting with him during playtime. He'll get there eventually.
I've noticed that this morning he did the whole hide in his tube and I said 'hey baby' and he realised it was me and came out slightly so I think he's getting a little used to me. My sister came in my room before and she said he was awake and he did it to her and she said his name when he popped his head out and then ran back in and hid until she went away. This is true, when I'm putting new water and food he does come up to me and sniff me.

I have and with Larry. I've noticed a HUGE difference with Larry. I've had him for a year and he would only usually let me stroke him when he was eating and yesterday I stroked him for at least a minute with no food around.

I would love to try the bathtub method but I'm 5'9 and my bath is way too small for me. I do put him in the bath and place my hand in sometimes. We're both almost taming each other because I'm so used to Larry attacking me. Yeah this is the thing, if I accidentally touch him, he'll jump up .

Thanks for your advice
Larrymom is offline   Reply With Quote