Thread: Hubble's thread
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 07:21 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hubble's thread

Just noticed the wheel that comes with it - it might be too small for a Syrian. Is it 6" or 8" diameter? Sadly most cages come with very small 6" wheels that can cause back pain to Syrians and are only suitable for dwarf hamsters. If it's 8" it will do while he is a baby, but the rule of thumb is when they are running in the wheel their back and head need to be in a straight line, not curved. If it's too small you could hang a 27cm wodent wheel from the top of the cage in about the same position as the current wheel probably (I posted on your other thread about tubes and if you look at the photo I have the huge 30cm wodent wobust wheel hung upside down in there, with the stand sitting on the top of the cage. The 30cm is a bit too big for my cage actually but our Syrian is ginormous. The 27cm is much neater and is fine for most Syrians.

Anyway I think it does look like an 8" wheel so it should be ok for now but here's some info about the wodent wheels in case you need to upgrade at some point.

I kind of reviewed them both recently so you can see the size difference here

The 27cm wodent wheel is the one in the middle. My 30cm wobust wheel is on the left and the Karlie Wonderland 29cm wood wheel is on the right. The second photo shows how it fits in the cage spacewise (cage is same size as yours). They work much better hung from the top of the cage though, which is similar to having it screwed to the bars and means you still have a good layer of substrate underneath.

Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote