View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM  
Lexieshamster
Hamster Pup

Default Hamster housed in lounge or bedroom?

I've just moved Nevie into his new bin cage. He was in a 3ft by 1 ft aquarium before - which is in my lounge. This was great for me because I got to watch him playing in his tank in the evening - but wanted him to have more space as he was always pawing the sides and climbing / trying to climb out at every available opportunity. So I wanted him to have more space and also to be able to put him upstairs in my bedroom so it's quieter for him during the day. The tank is too large and heavy to go upstairs and would have needed to be moved downstairs anytime I am away as my Mum comes in to feed / water / check on him when I'm away and she cannot climb stairs anymore. I also wanted to put my gerbils in the tank as their current gerbilarium is too small.

So good plan yes? Except now Nevie is upstairs I've noticed he is less active. He wakes at the usual time in the evening - about 9 pm and has his usual hours playtime - except when I put him back he goes back into his nest and stays there (whereas before he would have a little ly down out in the open and then after a little while get up and play) and I don't see him again until the next evening. Once he's gone back into his nest he doesn't come when I call him anymore. I fall asleep quickly and sleep deeply but my other half days he hears him up and about during the night.

I'm missing him lots and wondering if I should bring him back downstairs. It's warmer down here too as I have a small house with one heater in the lounge which warms the whole house adequately (for me at least) - if I leave the bedroom doors open - but it's still cooler upstairs. I'm wondering if he's spending more time in his nest as its warmer. I'm wondering if he's less active as he thinks there's less opportunity to get out when he could hear and see me more. Or is he just settling into his new environment and more confident about playing in his cage when it's dark? I had the light on in there before but have just switched it off to see if he'll come out.

So I'm wondering should I:

- move his new cage downstairs?
- put a thermometer and a heater in my bedroom for him?
- leave the cage upstairs but make a playpen downstairs for the evening?
- move his new cage downstairs in the evening and put it back upstairs during the day?
- just give him time to settle into his new environment?

Sorry for the long post!! Am I worrying too much?
Lexieshamster is offline   Reply With Quote