View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: my Campbells Dwarf is constantly scratching the cage to get out!!

It depends on how you want to approach it. My hamsters (I only keep one at a time, all dwarfs) tend to sleep most of the day, play all night and are not handled, although I did with my Chinese hamster when I had her. They get stroked, hand fed and attention when spot cleaning. I leave them alone during the day. It`s as if they know by their own hamster instincts.

Hamsters are nocturnal normally but they do wake during the day, but of all the hamsters I`ve kept, all of them prefer to be left alone during the day to go back to their nest if they have been up getting food or a drink. If I happen to be in my room when he emerges, I just talk to him and he knows I`m there, but I don`t try and pick him up or disturb what he`s doing.

I always keep my layout similar too and use a long tissue box with various holes in it as a big cosy nest where he can happily rummage around in and has a Duna shelf above this. Sometimes if their nesting area is too small they might get frustrated. My lads box area for sleeping is as wide as the Duna shelf itself, so he stays in there most of the day! I caught him lying near the door of his tissue box the other day with his legs in the air sleeping! x

Oh....and don`t fully cage clean. This in itself can cause them stress. I never do this and only remove half the shavings, or handfuls and replace those with fresh and wipe the around the cage with wet kitchen towel. No cleaning sprays either as they are not necessary unless a hamster has wet tail or similar illness. x