View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 AM  
Stardust79
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Syrian odd behaviour in plastic tubes...worried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Lizzy View Post
I would remove the tubes permanently. I've heard this a lot about the hamsters taking to staying in the tubes, the thing with these tubes is they can get very smelly and if Peanut became ill it would be difficult to get to him. That's the reason I don't use them, some hamsters do this so they feel safe.
When you took them out before you got a totally different hamster who was active and friendly.
I don't know where you're from but, I doubt it's hibernation, we're through winter and into spring going on summer.
Has he got plenty of substrate and bedding? I always give mine loads of toilet paper for there bedding, it's very soft and safe.
Once you remove the tubes, you'll be able to see how active he is.
Thank you both. I took the tubes out late last night. He kept putting his nose to the air holes with his eyes closed. Couldn't get him out so I pulled the tubes off and he come out as I pointed them into his cage.

Yes he has carefresh bedding and nesting and a medium sized natural house.

As I say ge did this when I first got him. Took the tubes away and for 3 months has been happy and active. Gave the tubes back 2 days ago and he hadn't been out since.

I saw it as hibernating. He had a massive supply of food in the tubes. He had taken his bedding in there and used it to block both ends. He was eating with his eyes closed and not responding to my voice. Very strange. He is back in his house now. Very quiet last night and seemed distressed after I block the tubes off. Hopefully he will be active tonight.
Stardust79 is offline   Reply With Quote