View Single Post
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM  
Robodwarfs18
Senior Hamster

Default Re: A few quick questions :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I think it was your post where I answered the question about food but forgot about treats, a good variety of fresh veg is always a big favourite with all of mine, I don't give them bought treats as not all but a lot of them tend to be junk food for hams really & dwarf hams love seeds so mine get small black sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds in the shell & a mix of other seeds including hemp, linseed & millet. They also get a monkey nut or small piece of other nut once in a while, antos dog chews & a bit of bonio. Millet sprays are good too but they can go a bit overboard with them so it's best to break a little off at a time for them.
Personally I don't like carefresh very much my favourites for substrate are Fitch or hemp.
I would switch substrate gradually, it wouldn't hurt to do it all at once but probably better to mix the old & the new so your ham can adjust.
I've got a couple of wire playpens from zooplus & they are great for dwarfs, they can't get through the bars & my hybrids can't climb out, a robo wouldn't be able to either, I do have to watch my Chinese closely though!
Thank you so so so much for all your help on both threads. Yes I've noticed that the only food they take out of their muesli is the sweet corn and sunflower seeds so I think I will try out different seeds like pumpkin seeds. I have given them fruit before like strawberries etc and I'm going to try kiwi and maybe some veg. Thank you also for your review on Carefresh, it's really made me think. I'm going to just buy Carefresh and see how it goes and I'll gradually add it in. And finally with the play pens. I was really only worried because when I got my hammies, the lady in the pet store said to not get a wired cage because they could fit through the bars no matter how thin they were but then again, some pet stores DO give our false information sometimes or they get confused but now that I've heard it from someone else, I'm definitely going to buy it. Once again thank you for all the answers!
Robodwarfs18 is offline   Reply With Quote