View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 PM  
Leila0420
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Possible blood found on Pumpkin's wheel

The vet agreed that the wheel was the cause. She was really good with Pumpkin but in the end had to scruff her to get a proper look because she's still so skittish. The vet said there were some tiny cuts on her feet and due the amount of blood on the wheel Pumpkin needs at least 2 days rest, ideally 3, with all toys that could possibly aggrevate her sore feet removed from the cage. So I've replaced her usual wood chips with ripped up toilet roll and her usual recycled paper bedding and replaced her digging tower etc. with some cardboard box houses and tubes to play in.
She said that plastikote on the wheel could work but that I should be wary and monitor her closely but that she would strongly advise getting a different wheel. Also, again, no wheel at all until she'd had at least 3 days of healing time.

I'm relived and certain she wil heal fine since she's still incredibly bright eyed and hyper, eating, drinking and playing well but I am upset that something I bought her could do such damage... I'll stil try the plastikote but I'm definately going to feedback to zooplus where I bought the wheel what has happened.

Again, thank you all so much for your support and advice, you've really helped put my mind at ease and hopefully Pumpkin will have a speedy recovery! On a positive note she also seems to love burrowing through the mounds of tissue in her cage I'll try get a photo of her burrowing and post it for you all to see
Leila0420 is offline   Reply With Quote