View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 AM  
catslovelycats
Hamster Pup

Default trying to understand my little chinese

I've had Evey for just about 2 months now.
When I first brought her home she would empty the food bowl all the time, no matter how much food was there. Unsurprisingly, the first time I did a big clean I found several stashes of masses of food!
Her behaviour has changed recently.
She doesn't stash nearly as much food away and there is always food left in her bowl and other foraging places when I check on her. In fact, last night was the first time I've seen her collect any food at all because she suddenly started to hide from me. I actually disturbed her various beds at different points, just to make sure she was still alive. Could this lack of 'mass storing' be a good thing - that she doesn't feel the need to hide everything away anymore??

I do mix up different dwarf hamster foods to give her some variety. She used to pick out the bits she liked best from the mixes but now it seems like even her faves (meal worms) aren't taken straight away.

This morning I heard a lot of faint chirping coming from a bed area she hasn't used before. I had to disturb her because in my paranoia I thought there had to be babies or something. (I know it's biologically impossible to for her to have babies 2 months after bringing her home, but I do panic about her). Is this sudden change of bed area anything to worry about or just her wanting a change?

On a positive note, she comes out more now. Still not as friendly as she was when I first got her - she let me hold her from day one - and I've not held her for a while as she runs from my hand.

Am I just being a panicky hammy mother?
catslovelycats is offline   Reply With Quote