View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 03:09 AM  
Artisans_uk
PM Fluffy for custom title

Send a message via Skype™ to Artisans_uk
Default Re: I'm a new hamster owner and i need all the help i can get!

Hi Otaku - welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting the go ahead to find yourself a new hamster friend. You are in just the right place to get answers to your questions.

I know that as you are over in the States, then your cage options are limited but other members who have first hand experience will be able to advise you on what is available. The bigger the cage the better and many people opt for making a bin cage because they are generally larger than available cages. There are lots of links on the forum showing people's homemade bin cages - here's one for you:-

Making a cage from a plastic storage box

There are a huge variety of names, obviously and sometimes a name doesn't seem right until you have your new hamster and you start to get to know their character. Of course, names can also be influenced by colour too, so once you have your new friend, you can post some photos and some names that you might have in mind and then other people here will comment and suggest their own ideas too.

Bedding/substrate is a matter of personal taste too BUT AVOID fluffy bedding or cotton fibers. This is really dangerous as it can twist around a hamsters limbs and get very tight and also, it does not dissolve if they eat it and can cause a blockage. You will see it for sale but do not buy it.

Safe for the whole cage, consists of pine wood shavings (not sawdust) that have been kiln dried without any added oils/scents, carefresh, hemp and others.

You can use plain unscented toilet paper/tissue for bedding, torn into strips and you can give some larger pieces for your hamster to sort for itself.

There are a variety of toys available. For a Syrian, you will need to get the right size. Wheels come in a range of sizes and as your hamster grows, you may need to change the wheel. I think that 8inches is the minimum for a young Syrian. Always check that your hamster's back is not arched when it runs on the wheel, if it is then it's time for a larger wheel. 12inches is what most Syrian owners will have as a minimum as their hamster grows.

Not all toys have to be bought, cardboard tubes from kitchen tissue, eggboxes etc all provide entertainment.

I know other people will make lots of suggestions, so I will finish here, at least you have some ideas to be thinking about.

Good luck with finding your new friend and I'll look forward to seeing some photos once you are both settled with each other.