View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 03:05 PM  
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma
Default What a difference a cage makes....

Just been playing musical cages to prepare for the new arrival (foster ham) tomorrow. I've put Toby back in the Ferplast Laura.

It's made a huge difference to his behaviour this evening! In the Cambridge I hardly ever saw him, he only came out of his nest after dark. For handling sessions I'd had to physically get him out of his nest, poor babe. I just never saw him otherwise. He's been steadily improving handling-wise (once out of the cage!) and is a very sweet little boy.

Well this evening he's out and about happy as anything! Moving food, in the wheel, chewing loo roll, ears up & perky all the time. The access on the Cambridge isn't very good, and for a ham like Toby who is reluctant to be caught it was impossible - access is much better on the Laura so hopefully I'll now be able to get him used to being picked up from the cage normally without having to chase him round or dismantle the whole cage, which must have just stressed him out even more.

The Cambridge is a fab spacious cage, it was great for Phoebe, but she'd come to the doors to come out so access wasn't so much of an issue! It's my biggest floorspace cage so thought it would be best for this foster ham in case she drops a litter on us. But Toby didn't seem to do so well in it - can't believe the difference in him this evening.

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote