View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM  
f1vebyf1ve
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Escaped hamster stories

Not escaped but my incompetence!

After having my first hamster for a few weeks I thought it might be good for him to have a runaround somewhere safe.

Hmmmm I thought not downstairs -too many leads to chew on, places to get under and general unsuitable holes with it being an old house (owned by rubbish DIYers).
Now upstairs - bedrooms not good as too may pieces of heavy furniture to get under that we wouldn't be able to move.
I know why not let him out in the bathroom -no carpet to chew, no pieces of heavy furniture, the skirting boards actually meet the floor and it's easy to clean!

Why I didn't think about the huge hole where the pipes go through the bath panel I've no idea. He didn't even humour me with a look around or even a glance at the various boxes I'd placed around for him to go in if he felt scared- no straight for the big hole and under the floorboards!

Bath panel was ripped off but no sign....

Picture me several hours later with everyone else asleep in bed. I'm crouching down in the dark with a ramp going up to his cage with a tempting treat at the top. Hope slowly ebbed away until at a few minutes before 4.30 in the morning he comes out, walks up the ramp, puts the treat in his mouth and sits there happily chewing away.

Picture me doing a silent victory dance so as not to wake up my sleeping children.
f1vebyf1ve is offline   Reply With Quote