Thread: Hamster stress?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hamster stress?

Hi karamelloh, it`s nice that you have come here to ask for advice because you do sound stressed because your hamster seems stressed! It`s a vicious circle, isn`t it? The itching could just be due to the stress and nothing to do with mites/lice or any other irritant. I would suggest that you don`t do full cage cleans though as this alone will cause your hamster some anxiety. Having their own scent around, even if it smells a bit, is natural to them, so try and only do spot cleans.

Bin cages can have tall, enclosing sides and I personally feel that this may have a claustrophobic effect on a hamster, who normally likes to feel able to see out, or have some sort of view of the world. Using a barred cage could cause bar chewing (nightmare!) or your hamster may start climbing the bars, so be aware that these alone can be pitfalls.

Try not to use a hamster ball either because the ball will have that `prison` effect and to an anxious hamster, won`t be the best remedy. Wait for playtimes when your hamster is wide awake, so not waking him up to play. Having a daily routine helps a hamsters `clock` in some ways. So observe when he`s sleeping and when he`s just out to drink or eat and leave him be.

Hamsters can be noisy during the night and making their wheel quiet is half the battle! My Russian hybrid lets loose on his wheel during the night, yet I barely see him during daytime hours unless he`s out for a pee or a snack/drink!

If you can, perhaps look for a cage that allows him more view, even meshing a guinea pig cage or finding a large Perspex tank-style cage might help a lot.

Try not to over think things and leave his toys/accessories in one place. I say this because having kept small rodents for a number of years, they do notice when something has been moved or added! let him settle down and only see to his needs and handle him occasionally, when he`s in the mood.

As for a vet, well I doubt this is a case for a vet to worry over unless he shows true signs of illness and apart from the itching you mention, this could well be stress related itching and nothing more.

I`m glad he`s calmed a bit and do come back and let us know how he`s doing. x