View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 07:14 PM  
Dalis_mum
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Ferret adoption?

Hi

My first advice is: If you are keeping rodents, don't keep ferrets at the same time. You will never be able to remove their natural musk from you and as they are predatory animals it will terrify any rodents or lagos (rabbits and hares). It would be cruel.

Secondly: Ferrets are prone to ingrained behaviour problems. Unlike smaller animals like hamsters, their issues are more difficult to reverse. There will be reasons that ferrets have ended up in rescue and that isnt often because they have led a great life. Most centres are over run so these animals do get lots of handling whilst there. It is very noble wanting to rescue, but lack of experience means you could end up with a difficult animal that you lack the experience to help adjust.

As an experienced ferret owner to a newbie I would recommend looking at local breeders, speaking to them asking if they have older animals that are 'manned up/hand trained' or if they are willing to work extensively with you to train a kit.

I hope the above hasn't come across as patronising, I inadvertently turned into the local ferret rescue 6 years ago. People saw me walking my jills and started asking for help and before I knew it I was being woken at 2 am by the door bell and answering to a hob on the doorstep in a tiny hamster cage and them running round the corner of the street. What I found most common was people not realising that they're not rodents. They are predators. They still hold a lot of their polecat instincts. They are mustelids, Like badgers and weasels, renowned vicious animals. They eat meat, raw meat such as liver and kidney that people don't like handling. They can be tamed, but I seriously recommend doing with the aid of an experienced breeder, at least for your first kit. Thats how I started. Start with a pair from a breeder who can help, then get yourself a huge ferret court and build your community with rescues when you're ready because ferrets are commune animals so you can add more into the group at a later date, they tend to have a 'yay, a new playmate' attitude rather than a 'what you doing in my house' outlook.

I am happy to be a resource for any questions you may have, but please don't take adopting a ferret lightly.
Dalis_mum is offline   Reply With Quote