View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 04:47 PM  
Hetty
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Genetics behind odd-eyed Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon66| View Post
I've never heard about odd-eyed being from chimera, and personally I don't think that is the case. No one knows for sure what causes it, but this discussion gives some interesting insights; https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hamstersinfocus/conversations/topics/2573 (from the Yahoo group "Hamsters in focus"). You may have to be logged in to read the thread. Make sure to read all 11 replys

I find the theories about there being a modifier or polygenic inheritance at play intriguing
Hi Hekomi,
I'm poor on Hamster genetics, most of the bi-eyed animals I have worked and seen are larger animals, not hamsters. The info I wrote on my first entry is just a brief intro about the basics of these genetic occurrences, for the majority of xx/xy mammals.
Bi-colourism of the eyes can be caused by x-inactivation (a type of modifying ''event''). This would be the far more likely cause of it, as oppose to chimerism ( an animal inheriting multiple genes, a poly -genetic event). X chromosome in-activation leads to animals exhibiting a tri-coloured coat. It can also be caused by genetic mosaic events, but this generally only leads to two colours showing.
Bi-coloured eyes can a multiple causes or sometimes be a spontaneous genetic mutation. But the fact that it is linked and seen mostly in animals with distinct coat patterns.
Sorry if I'm confusing you!
Those pictures of those hammies are divine, their coat patterns are pretty distinct!
Hetty is offline   Reply With Quote