View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 06:49 AM  
Hekomi
Strong Brew Hamstery

Default Re: Genetics behind odd-eyed Syrians

Interesting! I've heard some differing theories on how mosaic spots occur in hamsters, some being from chimeras, but others being from how the melanin responds within the body.

I hadn't heard of odd-eye being from genetic chimeras in hamsters! That would make sense. I had always heard it in relation to cinnamon and banding, and then no explanation beyond that. In my mind it's easy for it to make a mock fight scene between a cinnie gene and a band gene, in which the band gene goes "HAH!" wins, and makes one eye dark!

Chimeras are so fascinating. I haven't read much on them, but I was speaking with Moxie Hamstery about a "tort and white" coloured RCD in another country. I had seen one before, and knew it was a result of genetic chimera(ism?). This one was new - she was gorgeous, and I suppose she must have been XXX? as she had a litter. None turned out like her though. I'd have to find the page, it's somewhere on my facebook.

I cropped it myself, as the original (linked below) has images of very newborn pups.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...9b220cd86f8775

Hekomi is offline   Reply With Quote