View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM  
missyme
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Taming my syrian?

firstly, you are doing a really great job of taming your hamster. Each hamster has their own personality and rescue hamster have had a tough start, so this makes taming much longer, but so much more rewarding as these little hammies really deserve a happy home!!. Also you don't know if she was badly treated or scared by her other owners, this could be why she is biting. My little rescue hamster did the same as she had been ignored and treated badly before I got her. A lot of the time they are not handled a lot if they have had a bad start, this makes a huge difference. Please be patient and keep doing what you are doing.

keep talking to her, so she recognises your voice, make sure her cage is somewhere quiet and away from sunlight, draughts and where people walk past often, ie by a door.

the more you handle her the better she will become, honestly she really will get better, mine nibbles at my hand as I sometime think they are confused what is the food and what is the hand!.

yes their cage is their area, it is quite normal for them to run away if you put your hand in. I have had my rescue hamster for 10 months, she was 4 months when I got her, and she still runs away from me when I put my hand in her cage!!, she is a cheeky little thing, but with lots of patience, treats, lots of out of the cage play time with you will really help. it really is a great feeling when these little hammies who need loving homes start to respond and trust you, by the sound of it she does already, well done.

hope this helps!
missyme is offline   Reply With Quote