View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM  
POLAR WHITES
North East Hamstery

Default Re: 1st Syrian ham very scared/biting. Struggling to tame

pets at home hamsters tend to be harder to train because of the bad start they have had in life being born in a mill with no contact then being put into a small glass cube again with no contact and eventually being moved into your home where you are now at a stage with a frighten hamsters, not to mention the in breeding from the mill which can cause many health problems including mental problems.
This is what I would do and have done many times in the past if you could tell me more information as I go on maybe I or anyone on here might be able to advise more
to start can I ask what cage you have her in ? as some cages can make a problem a lot worse some are terrible for hamsters and are sold by that green pet shop! Also why is she kept in a quite part of the house with very little noise ? hamsters tame better when there is noise around them. A week for a hamster is a very long time to settle I have never left them that long a day at the most before the taming started, I guess its the advice that that the green shop as given which to be honest isn't the best and is often wrong !

To start I would move her into the front sitting room where the family is with general noise from people and the tv.
I would sit by her cage and just chat away to her even when she is asleep for as long as you can every day, this lets her know that your not a threat and she can hear your voise and smell.
If she wont let you change her food ect I would wear gloves to start as when she bites she cant hurt you and this will give you more confidence, hamsters know when some one isn't confident and this leads them to bite more, also put tissue down you top against your skin for a few hours then place it into her cage,
I wouldn't rush the touching her I would try giving her treats but its one step at a time and this stage with her might take a while but it will be worth it,
once she is happy that you are sitting by her talking and you can put your hand in the cage with gloves and she is acting normally I would then start to try and give her a treat and after that stage you could try touching her with a toothbrush as when she bites this she cant hurt you and it gets her used to being touched, then there is the bath stage but that sounds a while off just yet,