View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 PM  
rebel
Newborn Pup

Default Please Help! Diabetic Emergency!

My dwarf hamster Poonchki is diabetic and I am extremely worried about him. I checked his glucose levels (lowest they have ever been) and his ketones (as high as the test measures) on Monday, however I haven't been able to check them today. He is extremely weak, his breathing is heavy, and his eyes are partially closed. He has lost a lot of weight (he was a bit chunky on Monday, but today he is as light as a feather), and his body temperature seems to be lower than normal. I took him out of his cage and he just laid in my hands (extremely un-Poonchki-like) and after about 15 minutes he slowly started moving around (normally, his only speed is 'Fast'). He is on a no sugar, etc... diet and 50/50 pedialite/water sol'n, however he hasn't had pedialite in two days. The last few days have been extremely hot and humid and I am wondering if this (and the lack of pedialite) could be the cause of all this. He just drank his pedialite/water sol'n and is now resting under the water bottle. He looks awful and I am SO worried about him. Is there anything I can do to help him feel better? Is his life in danger right now?
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote