View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM  
Hekomi
Strong Brew Hamstery

Default Re: Possible litters

Is the black male banded? Otherwise, you won't get the banded gene out of nowhere, one of the parents has to be banded. Banded is a dominant gene.

The two will likely have black pups together, but if Bertie carries cinnamon they could produce doves. Do ask the breeder for a pedigree (and if you didn't get one with Betsie, she likely has a copy). If you provide the full genotype, or even the phenotype of the parents, it's easy to figure out possibilities.

However, I do urge you to sit down and think before you breed. Being able to predict the colours in a litter, via genetics, is a big part about breeding. While it's great you're getting breeder hamsters, you need knowledge on your part too. You already know about white belly, which is a great place to start. But there are other lethal genes for hamsters too. It's worth really digging deep into the world of Syrian genetics and learning as much as you possibly can before considering to breed.

I spent several months learning, and while I felt confident for my first litter, it soon disappeared and I was frantically asking questions! The forums are a great place to learn, and a great resource, but don't forget the knowledge you need to learn. That's self-motivated, and so very important to making sure you're breeding ethically.

It's also worth asking for health records of the parents and their lines, since your #1 priority should always be health and type.

Hekomi is offline   Reply With Quote