View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 04:41 PM  
Emma
Hamster Addict

Send a message via MSN to Emma

I'm just wondering babyboos why you would recommend administration of an antibiotic for a dietary-related diarrhoea? I can't quite see the logic but my head is quite foggy at the minute due to spending the last three hours working on horse osteoarthritis I don't have my hamster head on.

I'll try and get my math's right and work out the dosages:

The BSAVA manual of exotic pets gives a dosage of 50-100mg/kg (so for say a 200g hamster that'd be 10-20mg) by mouth once daily for neomycin, or in drinking water at 0.5mg/ml.

I'm assuming that 2% means 0.02mg/ml (that might not be right). From my aromatherapy a drop tends to be 0.1ml, so the dose suggested for drops daily on the dritail bottle seems woefully inadequate (although I'm not sure how oz translate to g for the hamster's weight). There seems little point in giving it apart from to perhaps allow bugs to become resistant to neomycin! I can't work out if the dose suggested for drinking water is equivalent to 0.5mg/ml because I have no idea about tsps in oz of water.

It all seems odd to me as a foreign vet student! Have you asked a US vet about it?

Hamster Central Moderator

Owned by Merry, Pippin, Lola & Shirley (roborovskis) Toby & Hazel (syrians)

Missing my angel Phoebe
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote