Thread: Hector
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 11:32 AM  
velma

Default Re: Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKMcK View Post
Well, this little guy has done very nicely indeed. Love the slow and steady taming process; makes for gentle hammies in the long run. Hector seems to be a curious little fellow, which is what you want. I love the webcam idea and I was throughly tickled seeing him ambling up the ramp, never knowing he was being watched. The pirate photo is wonderful. Hector may not like banana chips, but there are so many choices available for hams that it's no great loss. My Almond adores mealworms, dry or moist, and thinks walnuts are made in heaven. I crack a walnut in half and give him the whole half in the shell. It's fun to watch him dig it out. Spinach and broccoli are very good for dwarfs. I try to stay away from fruit because of the sugar. Just once in a great while. Almond also likes...almonds of course! I get a pound of the slivered almonds and he gets 3-4 pieces about once a week. Pumpkin seeds are a great favorite too. All my hams get a 1/8 teaspoon of dry oatmeal and 1/8 teaspoon of wheatgerm once a week. From reading the whole thread, Hector looks to be in for a great life, being his own little hammy.
That's great advice. Thanks DrK! He is very find of sunflower seeds. He likes monkey nuts but I have to start them off for him by cracking the shell a little but or he can't get in. Talk about pampered. I will try the broccoli & spinach. I've pretty much shied away from green stuff 'til I knew he was fully settled so as not to upset his stomach. I'll be intrigued to see what else he likes. When I got him, I bought a dried flower mix treat but he's not intetesreted in that. I also have a bag off Apple bake treat but the bag says not suitable for under 8 months, which I didn't notice when I bought them. I'm not really sure how old he is as he's a rescue ham but they seemed to think under 6 months so I'll wait a bit before I try those to be on the safe side.
velma is offline   Reply With Quote