View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 07:37 PM  
PoroLover
Newborn Pup

Question Two new Hamsters, help?

So today me and my girlfriend purchased a Roborovski and a Chinese Dwarf (both females) and this is the first small pet we have owned. Me and her have owned dogs and me a fish before but never hamsters.

I have been searching for about two weeks now about hamsters making sure I had the correct information; don't use cotton, big big big spaces, not to many treats etc. I found a lot of information about Robos but not as much for Chinese since my girlfriend wanted the more personable one.

The Robo is fine and doing better than expected. Nesting already, loving the wheel and is already fine with having my hand in the tub, she almost even ate one snack from my hand earlier!

But heres the thing, the Chinese, while seeming to be more okay with hands at first, seems to not want to interact all that much now. Immediately after setting up her cage and putting her in, she burrowed under the food dish and sat for about 4-5 hours.

I was scared she was dead at first so I checked twice now, but shes fine. My Robo has eaten some pellets, drank water, had sand baths, bathroom etc, but the Chinese has done nothing but hide and sleep. Is this simply because they are really nocturnal or is it because they are scared?

I don't have a habitat I would like for her just yet because my second bin broke so shes currently in the cage we were going to use for training (it is not as big as preferable). Could this be the problem? Or should I just give it time?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks, PoroLover
PoroLover is offline   Reply With Quote