View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: A lot of Mouse-related questions.

We feed science selective mouse kibble and our mice all love it but I've heard some other peoples mice prefer it to be broken up first as the bits are quite large for a mouse. I'm pretty sure mice should have 13-15% protein so we ideally aim for about 14% in our mix.

Harvest mice would not make suitable companions for fancy mice. The size difference alone would make it quite dangerous for them. Multimammates (African Soft Furs) can live safely with mice, a pair of females could make good companions for your male if you wanted to go down that route. A few other species of mice have been trialed with fancy mice but how successful they are cohabiting seems to be less certain and less well tested.

Mortimer definetly shouldn't get another male friend. Neutered adult male mice do usually get along with each other and with females but obviously that requires neutering in the first place and not all vets are willing to neuter mice.

I'd avoid wood for a male mouse cage because (like Esmy) I'd expect them to wreck it. The urine'd soak in if it wasn't sealed and even sealed I'd not trust mice to not chew through the sealant to the wood underneath. Our male mice had a wooden shelf for a few days - it took less than ten minutes for someone to chew the waterproof paint off and expose the wood itself.

I've never heard of wheat or grain intolerances in mice before either, we actually use puffed wheat in our mix with no problems.