View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM  
spyro87
The Hamsters Hostage

Send a message via Skype™ to spyro87
Default Re: Kodys Sore Bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
You can either add a probiotic like ProC (from P@H) to his water or sprinkled in some food. If you add to water it does need changed frequently as it grows algae in the bottle and goes horrid. We find a pinch in a teaspoon of porridge or sprinkled on a wet food is good. It should be given as far as possible timewise from the antibiotics or else they kill the good bacteria.
You could give a teaspoon of live yogurt instead or as well but just watch his tummy with milky stuff in case he is one of the ones that it doesn't agree with.
We find the swaddling technique - wrapping in a small towel with just the head sticking out, then putting the syringe in the side of the mouth is best. Baytril tastes foul (I tried it) so he won't like it. Hope he is better soon.
you *tried* Baytril? bleauck! sorry, that wasn't the only bit of your message I paid attention to, I promise!

I think I might try the wet food suggestion... and sprinkle it into some porridge. He's never had porridge, but my other hams have, and they've never had a problem with it. To avoid any ill affects from dairy, I will make the porridge with water - sorry Kody... please eat it anyway!

As I'm making porridge for Kody bear I think I'll make extra, give my kids some as a late night before bed munch and make them share with the rest of the hamsters

For his first dose, I scruffed him and was persistant with poking the syringe to his mouth, he of course didn't want the alien thing anywhere near him and I was amazed (not to mention all squeeee) when he used his paws to push it away (very adorable!) - he didn't seem overly pleased when I managed to get it in, he gave me the stink eye while I did my victory dance and then turned his fluffy behind to me when I offered yogurt as a peace offering... looks like I'm in the.. er.. hamhouse? (doghouse) as it were... -sigh-

Ok, well, I'm assuming having two doses of Baytril per day, means they should be administered about 12hrs apart? so, if I make sure to get probiotics into him around 6hrs after a dose (and so 6hrs before his next one), we'll be onto a winner, right?

PROUD ARMY WIFE 10.DEC.2010
RIP baby Benny; taken too soon
spyro87 is offline   Reply With Quote