Thread: Lazy hamster?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 PM  
paisley
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Lazy hamster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyHamster View Post
First off, I agree 100% with iCupcake about NEVER EVER EVER putting syrians together. That's just asking for injuries or worse. Syrians are solitary animals and don't tollerate the presence of another Syrian in their territory. Your Syrian's territory is his cage and home.

Secondly, what size cage is your hamster in? Sometimes having a cage which is too small and not filled with enough enrichment will make a hamster bored and lazy.

As for the wheel, it might be too small. A Syrian needs a wheel that is anywhere from 8 to 12 inches in diameter, depending on the hamster's size. If your hamster is running in it, and their is even the slightest curve to his back, it could cause spinal problems down the road. Best to avoid that and give him a properly sized wheel.
I spent time and money searching for wheels for my Syrian.After initially running about 5 miles (the first night she had the wheel)..she now doesnt bother and prefers to come out and run in her ball.A 12 " wheel at least is needed for a Syrian.Flying saucers seem ideal,but if you look at the angle they have to run on I can see why people say they are bad for their hips.To run as flat as possible is the ideal.
Im hoping that my lively girl will one day go back to her wheel...any suggestions welcome,!!....

Last edited by paisley; 06-22-2014 at 01:32 AM.
paisley is offline   Reply With Quote