View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 AM  
Clairealex
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: How do I get Beanie out?

Hi Esmy!

Hope beanie is doing well

Chinese are notorious for their shy nature, especially when attempting to train them. I've given Eric a couple of nesting options. One is the Corner Cabin for Small pets from zooplus. This is a great big size and has a large entrance, and is open bottomed. This is his favourite place. He also has a rock cage which has 3 exits and is airy and open bottomed, and then he has a huge nest that he's burrowed into and made himself.

They don't appreciate being disturbed I've found. I don't interact with Eric unless he's up and about. It takes a long while for them to remain out when they hear you in the room, and as Souffle said, when they start to make their way back to the nest, place a tube in front of him and use this as a transport. It really is a matter of very gentle handling, patience and time with them. Eric is still a shy guy, and does still run and hide, but also has nights where he hops up and enjoys a wee cuddle. It's just patience and doing it their way that will work.

Eric does get treats, but I wouldn't use babyfood unless he's unwell and in need of some comfort food. His treats consist of mealworms, peanut, pumpkin seed and fresh veg (broccoli and red pepper mostly). A good mix, such as burgess dwarf, will give him all he needs and the treats keep it interesting! I also add a pinch of linseed and porridge oats (dry as RH said!) every night.