View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 AM  
shoshannah
Hamster Pup

Talking Finished my first bin cage!

I collected my items from Wilkinsons yesterday and made my first bin cage! wooo! If you would like to know in detail what i used read my other thread Cheap Bin Cage update.

This will be a photo instruction post. It will also include pictures of the toys i've made. If you would like more information on them please ask

Okay so first i went and bought, a box, a saw, a hand file and some cable ties. I decided not to use the saw as it seemed a lot of effort and instead put a butter knife on the hob for a few minutes. Whilst that was heating up i measured out where i wanted the ventilation hole to go. Then placed the hot knife along the lines and just let it melt through (holding it with a damp cloth).

After both sides were done ( i made two holes) i filed them down so there were nice, smooth edges

Once i had done that on both sides, i measured out my mesh to be around one inch bigger on each side around the hole. Then i got my hot knife again and just used the tip to melt little slits around the hole where i would thread the cable ties through.

This is quite tricky by yourself but i managed it. Hold the mesh above the whole and thread the cable ties through and pull tight.

Trim the tails off and you're finished! All of this took me almost three hours non stop! I do not have a profession in this so this is a personal method. Please tell me if you find any pros and cons Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (101.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (95.6 KB, 26 views)
shoshannah is offline   Reply With Quote