View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM  
leafpool14
Hamster Pup

Send a message via MSN to leafpool14 Send a message via Yahoo to leafpool14
Default Re: Extermely nervous hamster? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz19
Ok so todays little update. The cage we have nibbles in has pipes attached but my fiance made up some pieces at work so that we could block them of so that was the first thing, she isnt very impressed by this. She keeps climbing the cage to see if they're back yet.

Anyway nibbles was a wake and sat in her bed so we sat face to face on the floor lifted nibbles and her bed from the cage and placed her on the fllor between our legs. At first she was very nervous but after she'd walked around for a while and had a good sniff at everything she seemed to relax. I have noticied she seems to prefer sunflower seeds out of all her food so I have been using them as treats to show her I'm not to be scared off which seems to be working slowly but surely. She isnt afraid to let me stroke her back gently, she also sat right up close to me and started to bathe herself which I'm led to believe is a sign of her feeling safe. we made some attempts to pick her up buts she just runs our jumps before you can lift her, we will keep working on this though. But I think we have made some progress tonite

Im soo happy to hear that she's slowly starting to have trust in you! and yes, a hamster would only bathe if its content and secure. And giving her treats would be like praising a child, well done! but if she sniffs your fingers once you've handled food and gives you a little nip that you cant feel, its because she's testing whether what she smelt was real food, which your hand obviously isnt She would be a bit jumpy for a while, and just be out of your grasp, but if you do this every night, she will be more used to it and know that nothing bad has happened every time you get her out, and you might have your first chance at holding her

Keep up with the good progress!Getting her out every night would speed up taming progress!! :P

Leafpool