View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM  
Hanlou
Adult Hamster

Default Ideal cage for a Chinese hamster - Imac Fantasy?

I have put this here as I thought it might get noticed here more than in the Chinese hamster section...... :P

I don't know if I will be getting a Chinese or not yet; but there was a male Chinese at the Rspca centre when we last visited and I'm just concerned that he may end up there for ages just like the 4 hamsters we recently adopted. (They were there for about a year!)

So for now I am keeping an eye on the Rspca website and am thinking about whether we would really be sensible taking on another hamster.....! I don't see the care side as really being a problem though - I have the time and obviously have food etc and I'm afraid I know full well that any hamster will get tons more attention / toys / quality food here than it ever will at the Rspca Centre. It's more the 'where to put the cage' thing that bothers me lol. I have read conflicting information - some say that they need bars as they love to climb and others say that they can squeeze through bars very easily so should have a Gabber Rex style cage!

My 'ideal' cage would be an Imac Fantasy as I have space for it and could easily fit a cage plus extension into our dining room. I have seen Bunsey's Imac set up for a Chinese but wondered if it really would be ok or if the bars would be too wide?! I may have to just be stern with myself and forget about him for now if so, as I really couldn't fit another Rex / Zoozone cage anywhere at the moment. My 'space' is about 65cm long.

...plus Herbert, Tiny, Ping, Teacake, Muffin and Biscuit.
Hanlou is offline   Reply With Quote