Thread: Shy hamster?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 AM  
DrKMcK
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Shy hamster?

Hello ununpentium. LOL. You little ham is perfectly normal. He's still a baby yet. The world is a scary place for a creature that little. Freezing when feeling alarmed or unsure is very typical for hammies. Even my older hams do it if they hear something they're not sure of. The running fast like that is pure hamster. In the wild these little guys run about 5 miles a night foraging for food. That's why a wheel or a saucer is so important for a hammy to have. They really need the exercise. As for the digging in the corners, that too is normal behavior for hamsters. No matter how big a cage, or how large a room, hamsters will try to find a way out. They are major Houdinis and curious about everything. Also, some hamsters are more vocal than others. I adore talky hams. The time, 10:00 p.m., is normal for hamsters. They are commonly up in the early evenings and night time. But they do okay if you wake them up to play. They'll go right back to sleep when playtime is over. But...make sure he's fully awake before you pick him up or he'll bite. You don't want to get him in the habit of biting. You can continue to use the margarine tub, or a cup to get him out of the cage to prevent bites. Your little man seems to be a typical hammy and he'll calm down as he gets older. Look at the tub taming method on the forums. It's my favorite way to tame a hammy and it's a safe way too. Have fun with him.