View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM  
SinNyx
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Guide to Buying a Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickGrayson View Post
I am looking into getting a bigger cage for my hamster soon as I want her to have more space to run around in and so she can have more toys inside the cage.

Any pet shops in my area and many of the cages I have looked at online seem to only have bigger cages in the aquarium/tank style. But I read that because hamsters have pretty poor eyesight, the curved corners of the aquarium type cages and the glass/plastic material makes it hard for them to see the walls and corners of their cage which confuses them and makes them bump into the walls.

Is this true? I wouldn't want to stress little Sander out or cause her any injuries by bumping into things.

In anyone's experience, which is better - a metal barred cage or the aquarium type?
I've never heard of that...I don't think I have ever had a hamster bump into a cage corner, they all get around fine. They don't have the best eyesight, but they have other senses too!

I don't think it's a case of one type being 'better'...but, whatever suits you and your hamster as they both have advantages and disadvantages. For example, dwarf hams may escape out of barred cages if the bar spacing is too large, and Syrians tend to love bar climbing (and Chinese hams I hear?). Also, with a barred cage, there is bar chewing that could become a problem as some hamsters may over-do it and damage their teeth, having a tank cage prevents this and keeps a hamster securely in with no chance of escaping through bars. Then again, they may be harder to clean and move around for some where a barred cage may be easier when you can just take the base off and move it around freely!
SinNyx is offline   Reply With Quote