View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 PM  
HollyHamster
Hamster Savvy

Send a message via Skype™ to HollyHamster
Default Winter Olympics [Possible Spoiler Alert]

Who else is watching/following the Olympics?

I am watching Men's single figure skating right now, and so far there is a ton of drama.

Warning to all who haven't seen or read about the events beforehand, this may be a spoiler.

Evengi Plashinko, the veteran Russian skater, and favorite going into the Men's short program called it quits after preforming a jump while warming up and re-injuring his back, which he had extensive surgery on prior to coming to Sochi. It was a heart breaking moment for him, having to do that, and you could see it on his face. I guess his 31 year old, battered and bruised body couldn't hold out anymore.

Then, the US figure skater, Jeremy Abbott took the ice and fell hard during his first jump. It looked like he wouldn't get up, let alone finish his program, but he got up and finished, with purpose. It wasn't about winning medals for him anymore, it was about getting back on the proverbial horse and finishing with his head held high.

That moment reminded me of the movie "Cool Runnings", where the Jamaican bobsled team crashed hard, but got up, and carried their sled across the finish line, not winning, but at least finishing.

So, a lot of drama on the ice so far.
HollyHamster is offline   Reply With Quote