View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 PM  
HelenaandHoratio
Newborn Pup

Default Hamster who had diarrhea, very underweight and now behaving oddly

Dear all,

I posted about my just-about-2-yr-old Syrian hamster Horatio the other day, but now he seems to be deteriorating. I'm looking for some advice. About 3 weeks ago he started getting more frantic and begging more for food, chewing more on the bars, and trying more to escape. Then about 5 days ago I noticed he has diarrhea.

On Tuesday I took him to the vet, because he's just so frantic and the diarrhea wasn't improving even after stopping fresh food and thoroughly cleaning his cage. She said she couldn't see any physical issues other than that he is underweight and dehydrated. She gave him fluids and also gave me some antibiotics to use if the diarrhea doesn't stop.

Last night (Weds) his diarrhea did seem to be improving considerably, BUT he's incredibly underweight. He seemed a little less frantic, but I think it might just be due to weakness. He also is seeming less coordinated the past couple of nights (he climbs the bars even a little and falls onto his back) and may be a little confused. His ears have been pinned down every time I've seen him the past few days. He does still run on his wheel.

I spoke to the vet and she suggested I try the antibiotics, even at the risk of making his diarrhea return. She was indicating it's a last-ditch effort. She thinks if his neurological condition worsens I should have him put to sleep (

What do you all think? Any suggestions for anything I can try?
HelenaandHoratio is offline   Reply With Quote