View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM  
ThePipsqueakery
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Keeping a hamster warm without electricity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCream81 View Post
If i were you, I would fill up lots of flasks with boiling water, and have hot water bottles on hand. You can also buy heaters that run on batteries. Close all the doors in the house and concentrate on heating up one room, maybe you could bring all the hams(and mice ) into the sitting room and heat that room only. Fingers crossed you won't need it? Is the snow bad over there? We are relatively lucky as all we have is rainstorms!!
Well if we lose electricity then we will have no way to heat water. Water heater is electric, stove is electric, microwave is clearly electric, definitely no place for a fire. They are all in one room now (our basement) so we would be alright probably for at least 12 hours but with temperatures in the negatives (fahrenheit) the heat wouldn't stay trapped long. A battery powered heater is probably just the thing we need, I'll have to investigate so that we will have one on hand for next time. A gas generator isn't really an option in an enclosed basement as it wouldn't be very safe plus we have almost no room at all in our apartment for storing something like that.

The snow isn't too bad where I am but most of my state got a couple of feet of snow dumped on them yesterday. We only got about 6-8 inches but a lot of freezing rain so everything is ice here.
ThePipsqueakery is offline   Reply With Quote