View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 12:33 PM  
RowanWyrd
Newborn Pup

Default Behavioral Dilemma

I recently returned to my parent's house for winter break with Ubi, and had to get him into a new cage to keep there for visiting. It's a combination bin and standard cage with a tray and bars. This is the first time in his life that the little ham has ever been exposed to bars and it's rapidly becoming a problem.

Ubi has *never* before asked to get out. Really, he demonstrates no desire to leave his cage most of the time. He's very inquisitive while out of his aquarium, but all things being equal, would rather be left to his business inside. When I switched him to the barred cage, he has started gnawing the bars at night loud enough to wake me up. When I come over to check on him, he's crawled out of the door and wants to play. If I put him back and try to sleep, he starts all over again. At first I was worried he'd become a bar chewer, but he only does it when I go to sleep, he'll be up and about while I'm awake in the early evenings and is totally fine.

I don't want to encourage him to be a brat and be annoying to get his way, but I am still really excited he's finally warming up and wanting to play. Any advice?
RowanWyrd is offline   Reply With Quote