View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 AM  
DrKMcK
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Is this an okay diet?

Hello Danibear. All the foods you list are fine for your hammy, but she always needs to have her regular food mix available to her. The others are in addition to her basic food. I give my Syrians a basic mix of Hazel Hamster, Ecotrition Essential Blend for hamsters, and Kaytee Gourmet Variety Diet for hamsters. I also add in Oxbow Healthy Essentials, Harlan Teklad 2018 block food and Supreme Selective Fortified Diet hamster about 3 times a week.
For treats I use: insect mix (meal worms, crickets & grasshoppers), fresh fruit/veggies, eggs, cooked pasta, SwissMuesli (cooked or raw), and fruit/nut mix.
This provides them with lots of variety and good nutrition.
My hammies love their ball and are usually out daily for about 15-30 minutes. They also have playpen time. I bought them a playpen that is much higher than the ones you usually see. I got it at Amazon for about $22-24.00. My furries love it. I put toys and treats in it. I bought 3 and I put them together. You'll also notice the smaller playpen panels in one of the photos. That's what I use for my dwarf hammies. Good luck with your little lady
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB010011 (640x480).jpg (51.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PB010013 (640x480).jpg (51.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PA300003.jpg (85.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PA300006.jpg (93.8 KB, 8 views)