View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 AM  
Kay_zee
Hamster Pup

Send a message via MSN to Kay_zee
Default Biscuit's Off to the Vets

I guess this may have started a month ago now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! We found a tiny bit of blood on her bedding on two separate days and was worried where it came from. Our original checks of her showed nothing but after a check of her cage we realised the wooden house had a rough bit on it and she'd probably caught herself. Sure enough on a close inspection a couple of days later we found a tiny scab on her so we stopped worrying.

Then today Biscuit was awake at about 10am and seemed to want to come out so I let her out onto my arm and sat with her for a few minutes, but when I placed her back in her cage I saw a flash of red underneath. I took her back out and looked underneath and sure enough she had clearly been bleeding. Emotions got the best of me for a bit, before I decided to do the smart thing and check her nest again to try to work out just how much she had bleed. Thankfully it's not too much, however it is more than the last time I noticed and probably wrongly associated it with her house (I feel so guilty for that ). She's booked in to see the vet first thing tomorrow, but I'm really puzzled as to what is wrong. She seems herself, no signs of pain or wanting to be left alone.

One of my previous Syrians Honey had the same symptom only she was withdrawn and clearly looked in pain (we had her put to sleep). As I put in a previous topic, the only sign of age she's showing (she's 22 months) is the mobility in her hind legs is starting to decline, apart from that she's like she was when she was six months, wanting and trying to do everything, despite the fact that the days when she could do it have been and gone. I don't think she's ready to give in to whatever her troubles are!

I'm very nervous about tomorrow, I've never been to the vets with one of my hamsters before (my mum had Honey put to sleep in the morning while I was at school to avoid me going through it - she said it was hard enough for her, let alone me as I'm highly sensitive {even typing this has got me going }). Has anyone had a hammie with a similar symptom yet no others? What are vets like when it comes to hamsters? Will they just want to put her to sleep because of her age? I really hope it won't be a one way trip.