View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 PM  
njwilde
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Are your hamster's nails too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
I doubt Chewie's nails are overgrown Sammybingo as Syrian nails seldom need clipping except in vey old inactive hamsters so I wouldn't worry about them. An active young hamsters nails will be fine.

Hm, I noticed my Syrian Ellie has started to have her nails too long recently. strange thing is, though, she is still teh most active Syrian I ever had! She is in the Alaska cage with lots of toys, has a flying saucer and a plastic wheel, climbs a lot, has a sand bath and is out at least 1 hours every day ( 30 minutes in a ball and at least 30 minutes running around the room/bed etc. I had a read through the thread and I will try the walnut trick (she already has monkey nuts...) but as for filing it does not work as she is far too active!

It really puzzles me why her nails are too long. I will try again this week otherwise a trip to the vet is needed, as I don't feel I have the confidence in clipping Ellies' myself. I manage the guinea pigs but they are far more placid than Miss Eleanor Rigby!

Any idea why they could have grown so much all of a sudden when her circumstances haven't changed? I rescued her 14 months ago and was told she was around 5 months bac then so she is at least 19 months. But still as active and nuts as ever!
njwilde is offline   Reply With Quote