View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: I think my hamster is dying what do I do?

When an older hamster is showing signs of slowing down, sleeping more or having problems getting around, they are best left alone to rest and kept warm with good access to water (the bottle or shallow dish should be easy to access). Food should also be near the nest and in a shallow dish or scattered near the nest.

Picking the hamster up and disturbing him/her could tip things over the edge, so it`s better to allow the hamster to stay in the environment they know, their cage. A cold body could mean not being able to regulate their body temperature as well. Syrians can suffer from heart failure, although I don`t know a lot about this. My Syrian passed on before his second birthday, but some will soldier on well into their second year of life.

Make sure he has been able to reach his water in case he is dehydrated? Offer a slice of apple. If he grabs it, this means he is thirsty. If he refuses it, he`s probably feeling unwell. But keep a close eye on him to see if he seems to want to eat and drink.