View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM  
DrKMcK
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Hamster doesn't scratch or bite anything

Try to give him things like the Milk Bone dog biscuits for small dogs, or Greenies (They are dental chews for dogs...you can get them in the "Teenie" size). See if you can get "applewood" chews in the pet store. My hams like them. As for the nails, I usually have my vet do my hams. I am not comfortable cutting their nails myself. Hammie nails grow pretty fast. You can try putting a few pieces of terra cotta pottery in the cage so hammie can walk on them and bring his nails down (You can get this at a nursery or flower shop. See if they have some broken pots. Just make sure to sand down any sharp edges). I don't know what kind of wheel you use...I have the Wodent wheel and the Silent Spinner for my hammies. The Wodent Wheel can be fitted with a different insert; one that is a sandpaper base. It files the hams nails while he runs, and you only use it for one night every other week or so. You might try it. Teeth problems with hams are best handled by a vet. If your hams teeth are growing too long and are misaligned, he'll be in real trouble because he can't eat right. A vet would be absolutely necessary for him. I hope your little one is okay and this info helps.