View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM  
cactus
Senior Hamster

Default Re: I want a chinese hamster - convince me not to lol

My girl Sif is a Chinese. I'd been begging my OH to consider getting one for months and he kept putting his foot down saying no but we saw Sif in the pet store in the adoption section because she has a nervous disposition. We'd been seeing her in there for over a month and I finally managed to convince him that she needed a good home and we could provide it.

We still haven't managed to get pics of her as she's still learning to trust us all these months later. If you can get her out of the cage she suddenly becomes a lot braver and loves to run all over me and the sofa, when she gets tired she'll snuggle up to me or my OH and start to doze.

Honestly, if you can afford a Chinese (payment for hamster and vet fund) and have the space/cage to house one then go for it. They're ridiculously fast, Sif uses her nest as a toilet and the amount of digging she does in incredible so make sure to get a tank style cage if you don't want a lot of substrate over the floor. Those are the only downsides to having her!

With my new hammies I always try to wait for a month or two and see if I'm still as keen to get one, once I've decided I will I get the cage set up and wait another few days, then I know it's time if I'm still really keen. If you do get one then I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing all about them