Thread: Odd Behavior
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 PM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Odd Behavior

Hi elana. As POLAR WHITES and Kirsty have pointed out, Roborovski hamsters are very, very speedy by nature and although some can be coaxed over time to accept taking food from your hand or even being held, it`s not a common behaviour for robos to seek out companionship. They are quite independent little hamsters, which is why I love them because they are their own `little people` and pefer to be left alone to play with minimal interaction from their owner.

What type of tank is she in now? A glass aquarium type or one of the Perspex cages?

As for her `not liking you`, human emotions don`t come into it. She`s displaying normal robo behaviour and when she speeds away or reacts as if she doesn`t want you near her, she isn`t saying she doesn`t like you, it`s a robos way of communicating that they are fearful of being touched. My robo was exactly the same and he only mellowed a little as he grew older and I was only able to handle him in the last week of his life. He actually wanted to be with me, which was sweet and in some way, told me that all those fast speedy antics he displayed where just a show and nothing to do with him feeling frightened or anxious. It`s just what robos are.

Hope this has helped you to understand a bit more. It can be frustrating when you feel a robo should tame down or at least, allow you to handle or catch them, but you need to accept that she is what she is. A species of hamster that is known for speed and not being handled.

Love her for who she is and perhaps just talk to her and take things very slow. Take a step back and enjoy her antics! x

So no, not Odd behaviour, normal behaviour!