View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 PM  
HamJam
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Guide to Buying a Cage

My syrian hamster is about 4 months old, and his cage is definitely too small. The thing is, the only cages in any of the shops here that are bigger than what I have are for guinea pigs, etc, which, of course, have bars spaced too far apart. My cage is about 30 1/2 x 40 1/2 by 46 cm high. I would gladly have something bigger, but so far I'm just not finding anything locally. RSPCA standards are all fine and nice, but what if you can't find anything that actually meets them? Why aren't my local pet stores selling cages that even come close to being big enough? (Not to mention that I had to go to 2 stores just to find a wheel bigger than 6 1/2 inches). I have looked online, but, for example, one I found today that I really liked doesn't even ship to Canada. Others I've found are big enough but the platforms are all wire, and I thought we weren't supposed to use wire platforms. Why the heck is it so hard just to find a proper cage? It's so frustrating. I want to provide my hamster with the best possible living environment, but what I need to do so isn't even readily available.

If I'd planned in advance to have a hamster, I'd have surely been more prepared and knowledgeable, but we became hamster parents sort of by chance. We adore him and are glad circumstances brought him to us, but we were completely unprepared and not at all knowledgeable. When I walk into these big pet stores and see aisles upon aisles of merchandise for cats and dogs, I'm so disappointed to find that what is available here for hamsters is both limited and inadequate. Is it like that everywhere? Where have all of you found your cages?
HamJam is offline   Reply With Quote