View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 AM  
Anthorn
Adult Hamster

Default Re: 'bunny' make from zooplus?

Haven't tried the snack sets but if my experience of their food is anything to go by I won't be trying them any time soon. Anyway, here's my review of their main food;

Bunny Hamster Dream

First of all it includes a lot of rather large and thick "Trimellos" which my hamsters don't eat even when broken up and scattered over the feed. I pulled a random one from my packet and it measures 6mm thick and 23mm long. It's not surprising that my hamsters don't eat them because the "Trimellos" are grass pellets and my hamsters don't eat grass pellets. That would not be so serious if they were just grass pellets but the Trimellos is where the extra nutrients are added.

Second, there is only a minimum of hard extruded lumps so the dental function of wearing down teeth is largely missing from the food.

Third, a large proportion of the food is tiny seeds such as millet: Good if your syrian eats them but not so good if they don't. And you'll be hard pressed to find more than a few mealworms in there.

Lastly, all the info on the pack is in German with a sparsely populated multi-lingual leaflet inside.

On the positive side there is a greater variety of food including a lot of dried strips of carrot of the size normally found in salad mixes for humans and pea flakes.

Overall I'd say that it's good as a supplementary feed in very small quantity. Fed as a main feed I'd recommend vitamin drops in the water and some form of gnawing extras such as a hard fruit and seed stick, mineral block and Timothy hay to wear down teeth.

Last edited by Anthorn; 07-25-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Anthorn is offline   Reply With Quote